“Golden Tweets,” also known as the most popularly retweeted tweets of the year for 2012 have been announced by Twitter, the world’s super popular microblogging social media network. These short bursts of content kept to 140 characters or less have gone viral, receiving the most “shares” in this past year.
Here’s the list, taken from Twitter and as posted on Viral Blog:
(warning, one of the tweets does contain profanity).
1. President Obama comments on his reelection: 810,000+ retweets 300,000+ favorites
Before he took the stage to affirm his election victory, President Obama marked his win via Twitter. Within hours, this Tweet simultaneously became the most retweeted of 2012 — and the most retweeted ever, sent by people in more than 200 countries around the world.
2. Justin Bieber says goodbye to a fan: 220,000+ retweets 100,000+ favorites
Suffering from a rare form of brain cancer, six-year-old Avalanna Routh was big Justin Bieber fan, and the pop star had grown close to her during her illness. When she passed away in September. Bieber paid tribute to her in a Tweet, and many, many Twitter Beliebers responded.
3. Packer TJ Lang voices his frustration: 98,000+ retweets 28,000+ favorites In September the Seattle Seahawks went head-to-head with the Green Bay Packers. The now-infamous final play was called by a “replacement ref” due to a labor standoff with the referees’ union. That call generated 1+ million Tweets as players and fans flocked to Twitter to grouse about the decision. TJ’s Tweet became the most retweeted of the night — and of the NFL season overall.
4. Team GB congratulates its athletes
For the first time since 1948, the Summer Olympics returned to London. British athletes performed extremely well, with a “home team” advantage resulting in more medals than expected. Fans followed their every move, joining in at the close of the Games to show their support for #OurGreatestTeam.
5. Anime fans salute a wedding: 67,000+ retweets 5,000+ favorites When actor Kouichi Yamadera announced in a Tweet that he registered for marriage with actress Rie Tanaka, it became the most retweeted message from Japan this year. Why? Both are prominent Japanese voice actors, famous for many of their anime roles.